Working with a Functional Medicine Doctor
During your time with Dr. Carolyn George she will consider multiple factors, including:
- Environmental inputs – The air you breathe and the water you drink, the particular diet you eat, the quality of the food available to you, your level of physical exercise, and toxic exposures or traumas you have experienced all affect your health.
- Mind-body elements – Psychological, spiritual, and social factors all can have a profound influence on your health. Considering these areas helps to view your health in the context of you as a whole person, not just your physical symptoms.
- Genetic makeup – Although individual genes may make you more susceptible to some diseases, your DNA is not an unchanging blueprint for your life. Emerging research shows that your genes may be influenced by everything in your environment, as well as your experiences, attitudes, and beliefs. That means it is possible to change the way genes are activated and expressed.
Through assessment of these underlying causes and triggers of dysfunction, Dr. Carolyn George is able to understand how key processes are affected. These processes are related to larger biological functions, such as:
- Hormone regulation
- Immune system function
- Inflammatory responses
- Digestion and absorption of nutrients
- Psychological and spiritual equilibrium
- Energy production
- Toxins and how your body rids itself of them
All of these processes are influenced by both environmental factors and your genetic make-up; when they are disturbed or imbalanced, they lead to symptoms, which can lead to disease if effective interventions are not applied.